Big Fish Games

Friday, June 27, 2014

The bipolar and the narcissist relationship.

I know I am bipolar with panic attacks and anxiety as side dishes. Wonderful I know, and I also know that I am not the only one. With my weekly therapy sessions, and the discord in my family with my bipolar/asbergers son and my what I now know to be a narcissist spouse, things are getting difficult. My therapist pointed out a while ago that she thought my hubby was a narcissist, I had heard the word, but didn't really know what that meant. She explained to me that narcissistic people are about themselves, they can love, but on their terms. Hubby never admits if I'm right on anything. My therapist basically said that I have to make everything sound like his idea, and handle him with kid gloves. It's not fair to me or my son. We all love each other as a family though, so I have to learn how to keep peace in the house without going even crazier myself.

So, the first thing I did was look it up on the online dictionary that I use, it has 4 different uses/definitions.


  1. Excessive love or admiration of oneself.
  2. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self esteem.
  3. Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one's own body or self, especially as a fixation on or a regression to an infantile stage of development.
  4. The attribute of the human psyche characterized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits.
The one that best fits my situation is number 2. If I were to try to bring this up to hubs he would deny it (therapist says this is normal). So I'm stuck with learning how to live with someone like him and teaching my son how to handle him. The latter is going to be harder because of his issues. There is a plethora of information that just a simple Google search comes up with, so there's lots of reading to do. I will keep you abreast of what I learn about my journey in learning about something I know nothing about at this point.



Wish me luck....

No comments:

Post a Comment